Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Wearing Blinders

I was at a conference this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the number of women.  Which is when it hit me, I work in a very male dominated industry - I've been swimming in a pool full of fish for seven years and haven't even noticed!  Well, I noticed there were fish, but I had automatically discounted them because I assumed that they were all non-members who drink too much alcohol (apparently quite common in the industry) and/or were married or in a relationship.

So, maybe it's time for me to take the blinders off and actually look at the fish swimming around me.  Although when I finally checked out the fish at the conference, they all seemed to be wearing rings.  (I know, fish don't have fingers, so how could they wear rings, right?  Just humour me here, pretend it works.)

I will try to do better at seeing what is right in front of me.  Because really, if I'm meeting them through work, as long as they are ringless, they would most likely meet all the rest of the criteria on the list.  Once they've passed that first check, then I can use Elder Hales' test on them.

Single members of the Church often ask, “How do I find the right person to marry?” Let me suggest an approach. Measure the spiritual level of your potential future companions. First, if they are members of the Church, are they active and fully committed, or are they passive or antagonistic? Second, if they are not members, are they receptive to the gospel and its teachings, or are they noncommittal or antagonistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment