Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Temporal v. Spiritual, Part 2

I was visiting with a friend this weekend, and she shared her List with me, which really got me thinking.  Now, to be clear, my List is of the qualities required for a first date, and her List is for the qualities required for marriage, so there are some obvious differences between Lists.

I have struggled to keep my List short, trying to balance my desire for a great mate with the realization that if I only look for perfection, I may end up overlooking greatness.  But when my friend told me her List, it helped me see things from a better perspective. 

For her eternal companion, she is seeking someone who can meet the following four criteria:
- spiritually compatible
- mentally compatible
- physically attractive
- moral integrity

Some of the things I struggle to keep off my list, like minimum height requirements (I admit, I want someone taller than I am, which shouldn't be hard), some sort of post secondary education, and and mental health, are important to me.  But when seen in light of my friend's list, I realize that they are very temporal.  In the eternities, I believe we will all be physically and mentally healthy.  We will all be learning continually.  And height won't matter.

So thank you, my friend, for helping me realize that, if I truly want an eternal relationship, I need to focus more on the spiritual, or eternal, qualities when looking for an eternal companion, because the temporal qualities are just that, temporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment