Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Why me?

When I was younger, one of my sisters and I used to have a list of reasons why we didn't date, mostly made up of what we thought boys might see as personality flaws or physical flaws.  As the years have passed, I've either forgotten or blocked out whatever was on that list, although if you asked my sister I'm sure she could come up with a few reasons why I'm not dating.

I know a number of single people who seem to focus on that point - why am I still single?  While I recognize that it is an issue that should not be ignored, since there may be something simple (like actually talking to boys?) that could greatly increase my chances for marriage, I prefer not to make it my exclusive focus.  When I do ask myself the question, why am I still single, there is a ready answer.  Statistically speaking, someone's got to be single.  Looking at the microcosm that is my family, I believe that I was chosen to still be single because, of the three girls in my family, I am best able to handle my single status without becoming bitter, depressed, or disillusioned. 

My sisters both married a little bit later than they had planned, but they did end up with husbands and then children, and they now have their own challenges.  If being single is my challenge, then I see it as another piece of evidence that God knows me personally, as this challenge is one I can easily deal with.  In fact, it took me a long time before I realized that it might actually be a challenge. (Yes, this could be one of the reasons why I'm not married.)  But even for people who are a bit quicker than I am and realized early on that being single can be a challenge, instead of asking, why me, try asking, why not me?  See your single state as a sign that God not only know you, but that He trusts you, and has given you sufficient strength of character so you can deal with life's other challenges without the support of a spouse.  And expect that once you've passed the test of being single, God will have saved you some pretty amazing man for you to spend eternity with.

No comments:

Post a Comment