Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Big Fat Hippo

As in, hypocrite.  Probably even with a capital "H".  After reading my last entry, I realized that of all the things I spend time on, looking for a date/future spouse is by far the lowest priority.  Except for maybe housework.  Seriously though, if I were to make a bar graph of all that I do in a week, looking for a date would be such a small bar it would be almost invisible.  So even though I may have a good attitude in terms of not being complacent in my singleness, if I only act on that attitude once in a blue moon, it's really not going to get me very far.

Which got me to thinking about Elder Oaks' talk on desire from the recent general conference.  The entire talk is excellent, but I'd just like to quote (or misquote) one small part of it here.

"We should remember that righteous desires cannot be superficial, impulsive, or temporary. They must be heartfelt, unwavering, and permanent ...
...
As important as it is to lose every desire [to remain single], eternal life requires more. To achieve our eternal destiny, we will desire and work for the qualities required to become an eternal being. "

Apparently getting a date will require more than the paltry number of positive thoughts I give the matter each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment