Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dry spell v. Drought

How does a climatologist, or a farmer, decide when things have moved from a dry spell (a period of no precipitation) to a drought (an extended period where abnormally low water availability adversely affects growing or living conditions)?  I have no idea.  I'm more interested in deciding whether my own dry spell (a period of few or no dates) is actually a drought (an extended period where abnormally low date availability adversely affects social development).  I think at this point, if I call it anything other than a drought, I'm probably lying to myself. 

Which leads me to think of Joseph of Egypt, and the dream he interpreted about the 7 fat years and the 7 lean years.  Have I had my "fat" dating years and am heading into a period of lean dating years?  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out any way to store up anything from the "fat" years to keep me going through the lean years.  At least not in terms of dates.  But there are plenty of other things that keep me going, like good friends, family, great ward members, learning new things, and of course, my relationship with my Heavenly Father and with my Saviour.   Since I'm not distracted by romantic relationships (either actual or potential), I have lots of time to make these lean dating years become fat spiritual years.

No comments:

Post a Comment