Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Importance of Being Happy (and Earnest)

My brother once told me, "if you're not happy, you're doing something wrong."  As you might imagine, hearing this did not make me happy.  Although I eventually accepted that he was right.  And I am learning that he was right in terms of meeting men as well.

Through my incredibly scientific research (watching the men at the homeless shelter where I volunteer), I have discovered that being happy (or at the very least appearing to be happy), can have great benefits in terms of developing relationships with the opposite gender.  I don't do much at the shelter besides open lockers, so a while ago I decided that my real job there is to be nice, which I accomplish mainly by smiling at the clients.  The response is wonderful; of the ones who are aware enough to notice me smiling, I'd say 95% smile back and either attempt to engage me in conversation, or respond to my attempts to engage them in conversation.  Lesson learned?  If I want a guy to talk to me, I should start by smiling at him.

On a completely unrelated note, notwithstanding all of my great efforts, my shower still leaks.  But I can still be happy because a) my renovation scab has healed, b) my dad may be coming to visit soon and he can fix it for me, and c) (probably the best one) I have another shower I can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment