Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Owner of a Lonely Heart?

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning during sacrament meeting - note to self, church is not a good place for a successful pity party.  I'm generally not prone to pity parties, although it's occasionally fun to crash someone else's.  I'm blaming this one on the fact that I didn't get enough sleep last night, so all I wanted to do was lean on someone's shoulder and sleep, but I didn't have any shoulder to lean on.  Instead of immediately being grateful for the lack of shoulder, as it would prevent me from sleeping in sacrament, I chose to feel lonely instead.

But then I was reminded of a hymn - I know That my Redeemer Lives.  I've always loved the music to this hymn, but often don't pay enough attention to the lyrics.  Today I was struck by parts of the second verse:
He lives to grant me rich supply.
...
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.
...
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.

Even though it ensures the end of the party, there is no better guest than the Saviour to have during a pity party.  He does grant me rich supply - what He knows I need, not what I think I need (listening to the talks was definitely more important than sleeping through them).  He hears my complaints and comforts me in times of sadness or loneliness, and so long as I am worthy, He will impart all blessings to me in His own time.  I expect this reminder was much more beneficial for me in the long run than the male shoulder I was wishing for.   And when you add to it the lovely nap after church, overall it's been a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment