Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hope springs eternal

As I get older, I occasionally feel like my chances of getting married and having kids are drying up.  The last time I had such a thought was right around the time we were studying Luke 1 in Sunday school, which is where Zacharias and Elizabeth discover that they are going to have a baby, even though they were "both well stricken in years".  Of course, during class discussion we also talked about Sarah, who had Isaac after being well stricken in years.  Reading about these two women, about the important missions that they had to fulfill, and about the way their missions were fulfilled in the Lord's time, was the perfect reminder that I need to quit worrying about worldly timing restrictions, and "trust in the Lord with all my heart" (Proverbs 3:5).  I need to remember that He has an eternal perspective, and if I can let go of my own limited perspective, He will help me to see with my spiritual eyes and to understand His plan for me.  And if I can do that, then I will always have hope.

If you're interested in learning more about Sarah, or about other women who trusted in the Lord, you  might want to try Camilla Fronk Olson's book, "Women of the Old Testament."

No comments:

Post a Comment